Note: cell phone hotspots are a less-preferred method of connection because cell phone antennas are not as strong as stand alone hotspot antennas
- A minimum of 3 bars signal strength on a 3G or LTE is suggested
- For a more accurate assessment, use your phone’s field test mode (instructions below)
- Use a speedtest app to confirm a minimum connection speed of 2Mbps upload/download
Signal Strength via Phone Field Test Mode
- Go into the Phone app, dial *3001#12345#*
- Press the Call button. This will launch Field Test Mode.
- Hold down the power button until you see “Slide to Power Off”, then release it. Then hold the Home button until you’re returned to your main app screen.
You’ll now see your numerical signal strength while you use your phone, and you’ll be able to tap the signal numbers to switch to signal bars, and vice versa.
(to exit field test mode, reboot the phone)
- Go to “Settings” > “About Phone”.
- The numerical signal strength will be available under either Network or Status.
LTE network signal strength is measured in dB by RSRP (Reference Signal Received Power)
3G network signal strength is measured in dB by RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indicator)